Wednesday, July 21, 2010

OBESE OVERTURE

This is my first attempt at a mix. It's basically just a cross section of the stuff I've been listening to lately. A lot of hip hop, some future stuff, and also some dubstep. Nothing special, nothing fancy, just some good tunes.

  • mf grimm - return to eden
  • immortal technique - watch out (southpaw & DJ GI JOE remix)
  • houseshoes - newports
  • hudson mohawke - polkadot blues
  • RJD2 - a moment of weakness
  • nosaj thing - 1685/bach
  • nosaj thing - lords
  • heyoka - mowdery pildew
  • M.I.A. - teqkilla
  • turnsteak - broken control (jahcoozi remix)
  • starkey - spacecraft
  • hip drop presents - rubadub science
  • joaan - splendor in the grass
  • imogen heap - hide and seek (mt. eden remix)

I only recently heard of MF Grimm, and this opening track, fresh of his newest release ("You Only Live Twice") floored me upon first listen. I love listening to underground MCs, who still seem care about the music and have some sort of message beyond bitches, hos, and diamonds. One of his lines in the second verse particularly struck me: "So back the fuck from me, cause your jewels came from dirt, and when we all leave they will return to the earth." Plus you gotta love the daffy duck samples throughout.

Other high points for me include the jazz and soul influences in the Houseshoes and RJD2 tracks, and later on the expertly chopped vocals in "Broken Control."

Anyway, enough talk. Here are the goods:

No comments:

Post a Comment