Tuesday, September 21, 2010

new salem chunes



For some reason I've been fascinated by Salem ever since the first time I heard them. Probably partly because two of them are from my hometown. Some people go apeshit for them. A lot of people really dislike them. After listening to their discography, I initially decided that they pretty much sucked, but I respected that they were doing their own thing, and I even like one of their tunes, "Skullcrush."

So when a couple of their new tunes snuck out, I had to grab them. Out of that same curiousity that makes you look at car crashes and roadkill, I guess. But the second I hit play on iTunes, I was surprised. I was shocked. This new stuff completely blows the old stuff out of the water.

The tunes off Yes I Smoke Crack, Water, and OhK were mediocre at best. Kind of directionless, apologetic, overly-halloweened tracks with cheesy-sounding synths and drums. Like that goth girl you knew in high school. Mysterious and weirdly cute, but also lacking substance.

Anyway, these two new ones, "King Night," and "Asia," really make a statement. Gritty, dare I say catchy, synth melodies; huge-sounding crunk beats; distant vocal snippets (including a choral version of the christmas carol "O Holy Night" on the first track); all with that crackly, maxed-out mixer feel. It's like the old Salem grew a pair.

These tracks are at the very least worth a listen. You may hate them, and that's okay. I accept and consider all complaints. I'm also including a remix of "Asia" by San Fransisco's oOoOOO.

King Night (most recommended)

Asia

Asia (oOoOOO remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment